Don't translate ranks and in-game exclamations

Added by redtide over 3 years ago

I wonder if we really need to translate both german and american ranks and in-game exclamations ("sehr gut!" and the like), or at least part of them, like excluding medic/ammo requests: I think those are parts of the game subjects.
What do you think about it?

Replies (7)

RE: Don't translate ranks and in-game exclamations - Added by RaFaL over 3 years ago

Let me tell you what I did in Polish Translation I did translated those strings

RE: Don't translate ranks and in-game exclamations - Added by Spyhawk over 3 years ago

Of course, these shouldn’t be translated. The translation system is generic, so it won’t differentiate between strings that should be translated or not.

RE: Don't translate ranks and in-game exclamations - Added by redtide over 3 years ago

Spyhawk wrote:

Of course, these shouldn’t be translated. The translation system is generic, so it won’t differentiate between strings that should be translated or not.

This is the way the translation system works in your application, but in other projects (e.g. wxWidgets c++ and PHP) strings are translated only if passed as arguments to special functions (_() and t() respectively) inside the code, so unneeded strings are left alone, so they don’t appears inside the .po source.
As you can see RaFaL for Polish and also French did the translations for both ranks and exclamations, in Spanish at least ranks was translated, so that’s why I asked.
So it’s OK if I will simply copy from the original strings? (I could ignore them but translation could be seen as incomplete)

RE: Don't translate ranks and in-game exclamations - Added by IR4T4 over 3 years ago

We should find a unique solution for all languages.

CG_AddPMItemBig(PM_RANK, va(CG_TranslateString("Promoted to rank %s!"), cgs.clientinfo[cg.clientNum].team == TEAM_AXIS ? CG_TranslateString(rankNames_Axis[newInfo.rank]) : CG_TranslateString(rankNames_Allies[newInfo.rank])), rankicons[newInfo.rank][cgs.clientinfo[cg.clientNum].team == TEAM_AXIS ? 1 : 0][0].shader);

Are you talking about this? Let’s remove the translation of rankNamesX ...

RE: Don't translate ranks and in-game exclamations - Added by redtide over 3 years ago

IR4T4 wrote:

We should find a unique solution for all languages.

> CG_AddPMItemBig(PM_RANK, va(CG_TranslateString("Promoted to rank %s!"), cgs.clientinfo[cg.clientNum].team == TEAM_AXIS ? CG_TranslateString(rankNames_Axis[newInfo.rank]) : CG_TranslateString(rankNames_Allies[newInfo.rank])), rankicons[newInfo.rank][cgs.clientinfo[cg.clientNum].team == TEAM_AXIS ? 1 : 0][0].shader); >

Are you talking about this? Let’s remove the translation of rankNamesX ...

Yes, I talk about all those sentences in the game that are represented in both german and american languages (ranks: Hauptmann/Captain, Oberst/Colonel etc.) and voice esclamations ("wunderbar!"/"you got it man!") except some ("I need medic/ammo!" that are in english for both teams)

RE: Don't translate ranks and in-game exclamations - Added by Spyhawk over 3 years ago

redtide wrote:

This is the way the translation system works in your application, but in other projects (e.g. wxWidgets c++ and PHP) strings are translated only if passed as arguments to special functions (_() and t() respectively) inside the code, so unneeded strings are left alone, so they don’t appears inside the .po source.

What I mean is that our _() functions apply to some strings that might have a wide range of variables, causing an "all or nothing" situation. If you feel you shouldn’t translate a string, don’t translate it.

As you can see RaFaL for Polish and also French did the translations for both ranks and exclamations, in Spanish at least ranks was translated, so that’s why I asked.
So it’s OK if I will simply copy from the original strings? (I could ignore them but translation could be seen as incomplete)

Yes, simply copy them. I removed the translate attribute of the Rank level up, since it could be done there.

(1-7/7)