Feature suggestion - medic self-heal only when he heals teammates

Added by TheDesertFoxPL over 3 years ago

Right, I didn’t find a hello thread, so gues I’ll just say "hello" here... so... Hello?

Anyway, lately I’ve been playing on one of the ET servers and discussed the possibility to limit the medics combat advantage over other classes and they way people playing medics tend to ignore their teammates. I have an idea that might help solve this, and one of the players on that server suggested I post it on this forum. So here it goes:

In my opinion one of the most annoying things about ET is that killing a medic is damn hard - not only do they have a lot more health then other classes, they also jump around and heal themselves. Frequently also ignoring their teammates who are in need of healing. So I suggest this: the medics health regenerates ONLY when he gives health to teammates.

That way, the people playing medic would be forced to actually care about their teammates. Plus watch out for their own health, rather than just jump around throwing themselves medpacks in the middle of a fight.

I’m not sure if it could be implemented easily into the code thogh...

What do you think?

Replies (8)

RE: Feature suggestion - medic self-heal only when he heals teammates - Added by keMoN over 3 years ago

Hello there TheDesertFoxPL,
First of all welcome to the forums and sorry for the late reply. There already was a discussion about rebalancing classes and especially the medic class, because as you say rambo medics are a huge problem in W:ET.
I recommend you have a look at this ticket https://dev.etlegacy.com/issues/865. Right now we think that that the features layed out in this ticket are enough for now. We can still re-open this discussion after it has been publicly tested.

Thank you for bringing this up and generating ideas on how to improve ET: Legacy.
Cheers

RE: Feature suggestion - medic self-heal only when he heals teammates - Added by IR4T4 over 3 years ago

Let’s define this 'reverse’ med pack and syringe option a bit more in detail:

- medics can’t pick up their own health packs (but from health cabinets) and hp regeneration is disabled
- medics get same health when a medic pack is picked up
- medigs get half power for syringe hit when own hp is < 50% of total hp else full power back (or static hp add each hit)

RE: Feature suggestion - medic self-heal only when he heals teammates - Added by Spyhawk over 3 years ago

If you limit medic ability to heal themselves, you also limit their capability to jump in a fight and heal or revive teammate. In the end, these are two sides of the same coin, and the best weapon against rambo medic is teamwork.

I do not believe there is a good way to limit rambo medic, but we could encourage them to do their job in some way without changing the gameplay (giving more XP for healing teammate, giving a "crappy" end of game award for rambo medic, etc.)

RE: Feature suggestion - medic self-heal only when he heals teammates - Added by TheDesertFoxPL over 3 years ago

Well I had a look at that ticket and it does indeed seem to help with the issue. I especially liked what Spyhawk suggested in the discussion:

"use a "cooldown" feature so medic don’t have regeneration in fights. This is already implemented in the code to calculate battlefield points (see COMBATSTATE)."

Though I’d personally like to see this not only for auto-regeneration but also for throwing medpacks. Something along: medic gets shot → can’t throw a medpack for, lets say, 5 seconds. Or at least make the ability bar (not sure if I’m naming this correctly) go down every time the medic gets shot.

I don’t think giving a "crappy" award would help though - people would think "Hey, I may be the worst medic, but look! I’m the highest fragger!"

RE: Feature suggestion - medic self-heal only when he heals teammates - Added by Spyhawk over 3 years ago

TheDesertFoxPL wrote:

Well I had a look at that ticket and it does indeed seem to help with the issue. I especially liked what Spyhawk suggested in the discussion:

"use a "cooldown" feature so medic don’t have regeneration in fights. This is already implemented in the code to calculate battlefield points (see COMBATSTATE)."

Though I’d personally like to see this not only for auto-regeneration but also for throwing medpacks. Something along: medic gets shot → can’t throw a medpack for, lets say, 5 seconds. Or at least make the ability bar (not sure if I’m naming this correctly) go down every time the medic gets shot.

Yes, but again you prevent medic to give people medpack if they got shot. Always two side of the same coin.

I don’t think giving a "crappy" award would help though - people would think "Hey, I may be the worst medic, but look! I’m the highest fragger!"

Absolutely. And the real solution might be actually to remove the highest fragger award
On a side note, this is also the reason I have always been against including a frag counter in player hud in Legacy mod (like nitmod/silent mods do).

RE: Feature suggestion - medic self-heal only when he heals teammates - Added by Mateos over 3 years ago

TheDesertFoxPL wrote:

Something along: medic gets shot → can’t throw a medpack for, lets say, 5 seconds. Or at least make the ability bar (not sure if I’m naming this correctly) go down every time the medic gets shot.

I’d still allow Medics to GIVE packs, but would disallow in this particular case self-picking: so they can heal others in fight but not themselves.
This would allow a Medic to heal an other Medic in fight, too.

Removing an award will not stop Rambo Meds, they just look at their rating, not the medals
Perhaps, if it’s possible to track, if the highest fragger has been Medic most of the time (so a player switching to Medic near the end isn’t impacted), then don’t give him this award, EXCEPTED if he’s the Best Medic, or in top Medics (depending on how many total medics the map has seen).

Perhaps I come a bit late ^^' What do you think?

RE: Feature suggestion - medic self-heal only when he heals teammates - Added by yfcz over 3 years ago

IR4T4 wrote:

- medigs get half power for syringe hit when own hp is < 50% of total hp else full power back (or static hp add each hit)

I really do like such positive motivation. Different motivation for medics could be like this: disable HP regen by default and enable it when medics revive somebody (non TK) for some period of time (30 seconds?).

Another suggestion: medics could self-heal but they would gain HPs overtime instead of instantly. And they would never self-heal full amount of HP - they would be able to heal just like 90 % (or random number between 80 - 90?) of damage taken. So if they take 100 HP damage twice they can self-heal 90 HP for first time and just 81 HP for second time. If they want to restore full HP they need to seek other medic or medical stand.

Mateos wrote:

TheDesertFoxPL wrote:
Removing an award will not stop Rambo Meds, they just look at their rating, not the medals

It won’t stop every Rambo medic but it might reduce motivation for few.

Back in time when these well known killing spree messages was still quite new in WolfET I enabled them on my servers. Later on I decided to turn them off and it had distinguishable impact on players’ gameplay. Due to this change some players became slightly less concerned about dying, some left my servers and other just lost another motivation to focus on frag-hunting.

Mateos wrote:

Which rating?

As pointed out by yfcz, killing spree or spree counter have an important impact on player’s behavior, as have awards. Just see how players behave in NQ.
If you can’t easily show to everybody that you’re the best fragger, the interest of doing so becomes minimal.

(1-8/8)