Swap buffers on windows causing the weird tearing effect?

Added by chriswww 12 days ago

Since win7 on original ET and now on win10 et legacy, i think it’s the changing ever changing way of setting up buffer swap that is causing the choppy/tearing whenever you pan the view in game. I have monitor at 120hz, mouse polling 500hz and 125fps solid and still looks bad whenever you move mouse around in game. i think this is caused by some kind of hitching during buffer swaps. This happens with all id tech 3 and derivative games.

According to intel presentmon utility, et legacy is using DXGI for the top level window for et legacy and the swap chain is none or other. it’s not a swap chain for immediate flip.

i’ve tried all the permutations of nvidia inspector settings, windows compatibility settings etc, which dont fix it. the screen should not look so jaggy when moving mouse around. this is not tearing however, as there are no fixed scanlines where image breaks. It looks like the frame update is very slow. Even with vsync on, the judder is still there, just looks a little different to vsync off.

Replies (3)

RE: Swap buffers on windows causing the weird tearing effect? - Added by IR4T4 11 days ago

I would like to know if you are talking about a listen server or online gaming? There are some known issues depending on cvar settings (f.e. wrong rate set).

We are releasing very soon and the new version has an extended cvarlist command printing default and changed values. Please use this version and enter '/cvarlist’ into console. Clean the output from personal data (name, cl_guid etc) and attach it here.

Side note about cvarlist: You can also set a filter to limit the output ( '/cvarlist r_’, '/cvarlist com_’, '/cvarlist cg_team’).

RE: Swap buffers on windows causing the weird tearing effect? - Added by chriswww 10 days ago

There’s nothing particularly odd about my settings. i’ve merely adjusted resolution and turned off blood splatter and muzzle flash. Anyway, cbars dont affect the swap chain afaik, but microsoft has been actively changing this stuff during transition to composited screen and even in latest win10 update, they release docs saying how it should be done now to have performance or suffer the penalty of default fallthrough swaps being done by dwm.
Please try the intel written presentmon to see that dxgi is used and other/none for swapchain.

Happens whether on oz server or playing on local. it may be an interaction with mouse that ultimately produces the worst result, but i’ve had many mice, running with and without branded drivers, set to 125, 250, 500 or 1000hz and the artefacts persist.

RE: Swap buffers on windows causing the weird tearing effect? - Added by chriswww 10 days ago

i’ll take a good video when i get back from overseas in a week

(1-3/3)