possible to make a version with alphablend?

Added by thunder over 2 years ago

just currious if its possible and will be done?

Replies (8)

RE: possible to make a version with alphablend? - Added by Jacker about 2 years ago

not sure what you mean actually, alphablending is possible already in the shared code.

RE: possible to make a version with alphablend? - Added by Jacker almost 2 years ago

Erm correct me if i am wrong but that should be possible already.

RE: possible to make a version with alphablend? - Added by thunder almost 2 years ago

automatic? with the poles?

RE: possible to make a version with alphablend? - Added by thunder over 1 year ago

yes? so you choose the the textures as you have done before and when you paint the terrain it sets the poles automaticly?

RE: possible to make a version with alphablend? - Added by thunder over 1 year ago

sorry for laaaaaate reply, there is so much going on but yes, that would be the main idea.
Is it possible?

RE: possible to make a version with alphablend? - Added by keMoN over 1 year ago

Hello thunder,
bad news first: EasyGen isn’t priority which means this will not be implemented.
Please have a look at https://dev.etlegacy.com/projects/easygen/issues for further imformation. I recommend "FATE usability" and "Advanced usability".

With the current functionality there is no need to have alpha-fade blending (http://simonoc.com/pages/articles/terrain2_2.htm) anyway. EasyGen is a quick-and-dirty approach, which is not optimized when it comes to brushcount, modification, overview, etc.

In EasyGen everything is blended by the .pcx file, which acts a little like a heightmap. This is perfect for EasyGen because it doesn’t allow cliffs and overhangs so you always only have 1 brush per z-axis area. The alpha-fade blending is not required here.
When it comes to "advanced" terrain creation, where you build your terrain yourself brush by brush and also include caves/cliffs/overhangs (please refer to the screenshot), this method comes in handy. Since you can blend exactly the way you need it to be and also project the shader along different axis! This is absolutely crucial when trying to work on natural terrain. Another benefit is that your map is incredibly easy to overview since all brushes have the same thickness in contrast to EasyGen where all brushes go all the way down to the "sky" brush and you can’t see anything.

This is time consuming and therefore in contrast to quick-and-drity EasyGen. Right now EasyGen is not on our priority list, since we need to focus our man-power on more urgent/important tasks. IF the "FATE usasbilty" (EasyGen project ticket) will be implemented sometime in the future, then this topic will be interesting again, however for now I have to dissapoint you.

Might be better to get in contact with the maker of FATE and do some work on that one instead

well, allright
I guess in most cases the pcx blending is ok too..

(1-8/8)