Big servertime servers make movers to lag
Server with big uptime(>2w) starting to behave quite weird: movers(bobbing, rotation, etc) start warping around, this also affects player blob shadows, that start to blink rather being steady. This is a known old etmain (my assumption) bug.
Movers using splines seems to be unaffected.
How to reproduce?
Force `svs.time` to something like `1604061984` or any other value that is close to 2 billions (limit).
#1 Updated by ryven about 1 year ago
It should also, presumably, affect shader animations like texture scroll, but it’s not reproducible by simple svs.time increase (something else should also be increased, i guess, to match the real behavior):
This is recorded on 260b real server, that run without a restart for longer than 2 weeks, it should also affect etlegacy, i believe:
#2 Updated by ryven about 1 year ago
Alright me and Aciz did some more detailed review on what is actually affected by bigger servertime and what is not, we have tried to simulate the actual behavior using timescale 1000 to get big enough servertime value on a real server.
So far we have noticed that on the server, that was up for 500k million milliseconds which is just about 4-5 days of the work, several things start to lag, the bigger the server time value, the bigger lag effect on things is. We have figured out that movers - splined or scripted(setrotate), func_door and roq video files are not affected, however, a lot of other things are. The uptime for 18days brings a significant inconvenience to the gameplay:
- tcMod functions (sky, tank tracks) https://streamable.com/fq39v
- alphaGen wave functions https://streamable.com/6r7cm
- rgbGen wave functions https://streamable.com/u0lg9
- deformVertexes(palm leaves, battery sea, oasis tents) https://streamable.com/9eaf5
- func_bobbing(rotating, etc) https://streamable.com/ekffm
- binoc/scope sway https://streamable.com/v7siq
- particles(explosions) https://streamable.com/u6z6v
- shadow blobs under the entities(player, tank) https://streamable.com/idlkp
- screen wiggle when underwater https://streamable.com/scrsm
- fall damage animation + damage screen effect https://streamable.com/q7olt
- target_smoke(chimney, tank smoke, etc) https://streamable.com/gpc27
- gun smoke(mg, sten) https://streamable.com/ih6ld
- animaps(freeze) https://streamable.com/bpi7h
- popup fade animation https://streamable.com/1g48y
- hint icon animation(except strobe) https://streamable.com/44mm7
- raindropcircles(using tcmod, alphagen) https://streamable.com/ihtsi
Sure, all servers should restart as often as possible, but not all admins bother to. A lot of trickjump servers, for instance, are not restarted for weeks, until engine does it automatically(once servetime will reach its limit), this makes a lot of moving platforms unusable.