About ET: Legacy¶
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is a free multiplayer first-person shooter. Set during World War II and heavily focused on team work, it was initially released in 2003 by Splash Damage and id Software. More than a decade after its release, after spending countless hours of escorting tanks and trucks, stealing gold and radar parts and transmitting confidential documents, it was time to dust off the game which consistently refused to go down.
Enemy Territory: Legacy is an open source project based on the code of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory which was released in 2010 under the terms of GPLv3 license. The main goal of this project is to fix bugs, remove old dependencies and make it playable on all major operating systems while still remaining compatible with the ET 2.60b version and as many of its mods as possible.
ET: Legacy development is a collaborative effort done in an open, transparent and friendly manner. We do appreciate any contribution to the project such as patches, suggestions or comments. Anyone is welcome to join our efforts!
The logo concept¶
The rationale behind the new logo, from deep, the designer:
Like the messy and buggy ET source that has been cleaned and enhanced by the ET:Legacy team, the old ET logo has been deconstructed and assembled in a new and innovative way. The outcome: a clean and simple logo, which is however not forgetting its roots. The wing from the ET logo next to "L" is showing the new side of ET gaming.
ET: Legacy engine¶
Here is what you can expect:
- an easy to run installer to get you in battle in no time.
- an updated engine with nearly all known security issues and exploits fixed.
- a clean, optimized code.
- a fast, built-in minimizer.
- an admin toolset in Lua, easily extensible (coming soon)
- a new OpenGL 3.2 renderer (coming soon)
- an authentification system for effective banning (coming soon)
Note, however, that ET: Legacy is not compatible with PunkBuster enabled servers. ET: Legacy clients also cannot connect to servers running the ETPro mod (see FAQ).
Legacy mod¶The Legacy mod is the default mod shipped with ET: Legacy. It aims to:
- fix vanilla bugs
- add many useful features and improvements while staying close to the original gameplay
- stay lightweight and be extensible through Lua scripts
- be a viable and up-to-date alternative to the popular ETPro mod - just plain & pure ET experience
- be the 1st address for users installing ET: Legacy and starting a listen server the very first time