Frequently Asked Questions¶
- Frequently Asked Questions
- General questions
- What is ET: Legacy?
- Is ET: Legacy backwards compatible with 2.60b servers?
- Is ET: Legacy compatible with PunkBuster™?
- Why does the ETPro mod not work for clients?
- Will ET: Legacy ever fully support ETPro?
- How does Legacy mod compare to ET Pro?
- Are there any good reasons to run ET: Legacy on dedicated ET servers?
- Does ET: Legacy dedicated server allow 2.55 clients to join?
- When will the next ET:Legacy version be released?
- Installing and running ET: Legacy
- Can I overwrite my previous Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory installation?
- Can I install ET: Legacy alongside the original Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory installation?
- ET: Legacy does not start - what to do?
- Can I use my ET config files for ET: Legacy?
- On Windows, the game complains about some missing Visual C++ Redistributable file - what to do?
- On Mac OS X, ET: Legacy only works with Legacy mod - what to do?
- On Linux 64 bit, the ET: Legacy 64 bit version can only connect to servers running Legacy mod - what to do?
- ET: Legacy can only connect to servers not running PunkBuster - what to do?
- How do I minimize/maximize the ET: Legacy client?
- How can I try the new openGL 3.2 renderer?
- How can I enable the surround sound?
- How can I change default fonts?
- How to set up a custom game resolution?
- Unknown Event: 129
- Axis players hear allied sound announcements and vice versa
- ERROR: BG_IndexForString: unknown token 'Tripmine’
- Mouse movement is too slow/fast! I cannot aim!
- All textures are black on my Intel graphic card under Linux
- I have extremely low FPS on my AMD Radeon graphics card
- No sound - audio driver not found
- Tilde key (~) does not open my console!
- Client crashes directly on startup
- Client crashes with "VM_Create on UI failed" message
- General questions
What is ET: Legacy?¶
ET: Legacy is based on the source code of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory which was released under the GPLv3 license. The main goal of this project is to fix bugs, remove old dependencies and make it playable on all major operating systems while still remaining compatible with the ET 2.60b version and as many of its mods as possible. Read more.
- ET: Legacy is not compatible with PunkBuster enabled servers
- ET: Legacy clients cannot connect to servers running the ETPro mod
Is ET: Legacy backwards compatible with 2.60b servers?¶
That is the purpose of this project!
Is ET: Legacy compatible with PunkBuster™?¶
No, unfortunately not. Before the GPL release the PunkBuster™ code parts of Enemy Territory have been removed from the sources of the GPL release so ET: Legacy does not and never will work on servers where PunkBuster™ is enabled. But we have one bonus side effect: There is no system wide always running service installed.
Why does the ETPro mod not work for clients?¶
Will ET: Legacy ever fully support ETPro?¶
We can’t ETPro anti cheat doesn’t allow other binaries than 2.60(b) clients. It is unlikely that ETPro source code will ever be released and without it we would have to add some very complex hacks to make it work. But only the client is affected - on the server side ETPro starts with ET: Legacy server binaries (w/o PunkBuster™).
Also, the Legacy mod provided with ET: Legacy aims to be a viable and up-to-date alternative to ETPro. Give it a try!
How does Legacy mod compare to ET Pro?¶
The Legacy mod provided with ET: Legacy aims to be a viable and up-to-date alternative to ETPro. It isn’t a 1:1 copy, but does integrate all useful features for competitive games.Compared to ETPro, it currently lacks the following:
- ETTV support: as we don’t have the source, it is unlikely we’ll be able to correctly reverse engineer ETPro to make ET: Legacy compatible with ETPro’s ETTV, but we’re working on a similar "ETLTV" feature.
- Anti-Cheat: the open source nature of ET: Legacy makes it hard to implement a traditional anti-cheat (which can be bypassed anyway). We’re working on a complete authentication system instead that will help to keep the servers clean.
Are there any good reasons to run ET: Legacy on dedicated ET servers?¶There are! The genuine ET engine code for 2.60b hasn’t been touched by any developer for more than 6 years. That is quite a long time for a piece of software. ET: Legacy did fix nearly all known security issues and exploits which have been detected since creation of ET 2.60b:
- DDoS protection
- wwwDL exploit
- CVE-2006-3324 arbitrary file overwrite
- CVE-2006-3325 arbitrary cvar overwrite
- CVE-2012-3345: symlink attack
- Secunia Advisory SA19984
You can find all changes in our Changelog, If you are aware of a security related bug, don’t hesitate to let us know about the issue!
Does ET: Legacy dedicated server allow 2.55 clients to join?¶No. It will never support 2.55 clients because:
- we can’t do support or find issues of unknown code... 2.55 code is not available
- not all mods support 2.55 but vice versa
- having different client implementations connected on same server will have side effects and is finally not fair ... many bugs/exploits have been fixed with 2.60 code
- 2.60 has some brilliant new features which can’t be used if 2.55 clients are connected
- 2.55 clients are insecure and no one should use them anymore! It is just like running Win 95 and connecting to the internet
When will the next ET:Legacy version be released?¶
There is no ETA and it will be released when it is ready. You can however help make it happen sooner by becoming involved in the project.
Check the roadmap to get an overview of what needs to be done before the next release.
Installing and running ET: Legacy¶
Can I overwrite my previous Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory installation?¶
No. Don’t try to overwrite an existing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory installation. Choose a different folder! Also, don’t try to overwrite a previous ET: Legacy version. Uninstall it first!
Can I install ET: Legacy alongside the original Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory installation?¶
Yes! You can install both without any issue.
ET: Legacy does not start - what to do?¶
In order to run ET: Legacy you’ll need to copy assets from an original Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory installation.
Download them legally and for free from the official Splash Damage website.
Make sure the following genuine ET files
are located in the
etmain folder of fs_homepath.
Can I use my ET config files for ET: Legacy?¶
We do not recommend this. Better not do! Keep in mind many cvars have been deleted, changed or added - see List of cvars. We have constantly removed unused cvars from the code and because any cvar from your config file is processed at runtime the game does not benefit if you use config files containing more cvars definitions than required. Literally hundreds of cvars have been removed from genuine GPL code while we have added a few.
On Windows, the game complains about some missing Visual C++ Redistributable file - what to do?¶
Make sure to have the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed.
The Windows installer will propose you to install it if it is not detected on your machine.
On Mac OS X, ET: Legacy only works with Legacy mod - what to do?¶
The Legacy mod is the only compatible mod with Mac OS X version. Other mods will most probably not work unless they provide an updated version. See Compatible mods.
Also, the binaries are only compatible with Mountain Lion (10.8) or better.
On Linux 64 bit, the ET: Legacy 64 bit version can only connect to servers running Legacy mod - what to do?¶
Linux 64 bit ET: Legacy clients can only connect to servers running mods providing a 64 bit version.
At the moment, only the Legacy mod is available in 64 bit version, while all other existing mods are available in 32 bit only version.
If you want to be able to play 32 bit-only mods, you should install the Linux 32 bit version. Don’t forget to install the required 32 bit libraries on your 64 bit machine.
ET: Legacy can only connect to servers not running PunkBuster - what to do?¶
ET: Legacy does not and never will work on servers where PunkBuster™ is running. This is because the PunkBuster™ code has been removed from the sources prior of the GPL source code release by IdSoftware. PunkBuster™ is now unsupported by EvenBalance and thus mostly useless anyway.
How do I minimize/maximize the ET: Legacy client?¶
Simply press ALT + TAB. It is much faster than genuine ET.
How can I try the new openGL 3.2 renderer?¶
Launch the ET: Legacy client with the +set cl_renderer opengl2 parameter. Note this is still work in progress.
Use +set cl_renderer opengl1 to revert back to the old renderer.
How can I enable the surround sound?¶
In the Settings > System menu, ensure the Sound Control System audio option is set to "OpenAL" (default is "SDL2").
How can I change default fonts?¶
Put your new fonts in the
legacy/fonts) folder. Ensure to rename them ariblk.ttf and courbd.ttf.
How to set up a custom game resolution?¶
CVAR r_mode -1 enables the custom values in general. We do recommend to use the real desktop resolution which is r_mode -2.
To set custom resolutions open your console and enter:
/r_mode -1 /r_customheight 1600 /r_customwidth 900 /vid_restart
Unknown Event: 129¶
When you have a dll of mod in fs_homepath and you connect to a server the very first time this dll in fs_homepath is used instead of server dll and that is why you have different events that the server.
People didn’t notice that in the past because events and such don’t change much from mod version to mod version but this issue is known from NQ.
Axis players hear allied sound announcements and vice versa¶
Same reason as for the Unknown Event: 129
ERROR: BG_IndexForString: unknown token 'Tripmine’¶
If you see this error, it means you do not have
pak3.pk3 in your path or legacy client mod (cgame) is not loaded.
Mouse movement is too slow/fast! I cannot aim!¶
Go to the Options menu and adjust your "Mouse sensitivity". It is different from ET 2.60b.
All textures are black on my Intel graphic card under Linux¶
The Intel driver on Linux doesn’t include support for S3TC texture compression. If you start the game and only see black textures, you will need to install the libtxc_dxtn package.
Ensure to install the 32 bit version if you are using ET:Legacy in 32 bit.
I have extremely low FPS on my AMD Radeon graphics card¶
This is most probably an issue introduced in Catalyst drivers. To fix it just set
r_primitives cvar to
2 (don’t forget to do
vid_restart to restart the renderer).
No sound - audio driver not found¶
If you get:
SDL audio driver is "(UNKNOWN)" SDL_OpenAudio() failed: No available audio device
Try changing the SDL audio driver to alsa or something else:
If you still cannot hear any sound and you have PulseAudio installed, try disabling it completely. Don’t forget that you need to have 32 bit sound libraries installed as well - this includes the libasound library.
Tilde key (~) does not open my console!¶
This is a known SDL issue and should be fixed with latest ET: L. Use
SHIFT+ESC key combination instead.
Client crashes directly on startup¶
On some systems (eg. Linux Mint) SDL does not detect a valid graphical mode. Start ET: Legacy like this:
./etl +set r_fullscreen 1 +set r_mode <MODE_NUMBER>, replace <MODE_NUMBER> with the right resolution integer from r_mode see List of Cvars but don’t use r_mode -2.
Client crashes with "VM_Create on UI failed" message¶
Make sure you installed your game correctly and proper path & file structure is preserved. Check Path & File Structure wiki page for more details.
New silEnT mod whitelists official ET: Legacy releases. If you connect to a silEnT mod server with a client compiled from source, then the admins may tell you that they get a lot of warnings about your client.
NxAC Client Cvars Scanner searches for some cvars which were unused or obsolete and therefore removed from ET: Legacy. If you get errors such as:
NxAC: CVAR_VIOLATION Cvar: r_nv_fogdist_mode INCLUDE NV ()
You have to create a dummy cvar, e.g.
seta r_nv_fogdist_mode "GL_EYE_RADIAL_NV" (source: http://www.clan-etc.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2638)
Although we do keep several dummy cvars in the source code to remain compatible with W:ET 2.60b, in this particular case a better solution would be to contact the server admins or N!tmod authors and tell them their anticheat is badly configured.